Who we are?
Sequoia Mental Health Services, Inc. (SMHS) is dedicated to providing assistance to people with psychiatric, emotional and developmental impairments. The support provided is aimed at maximizing self-sufficiency and productivity and offered with compassion, integrity and a profound respect for each individual’s strengths. At SMHS our goal is to surround the people we serve with a community that will engage, support and encourage them.
SMHS is based in Beaverton, Oregon and serves individuals in Washington County. Services provided by SMHS are funded through a variety of public funds including Medicaid, OHP, Medicare and commercial insurance. Individuals may be considered for private pay if they have no insurance.
Sequoia Mental Health Services, Inc., an Oregon non-profit, was founded in 1981 as Homestreet, Inc. Homestreet’s original board was comprised of individuals from families whose members included those with mental illness. This group recognized the importance of and need for affordable supportive housing for individuals being discharged from state hospitals and the impact it would have on the success of their after-care and community tenure. With the goal of providing affordable housing and support services to persons disabled by serious mental illnesses, Homestreet rented apartments and houses on the open market and subleased them to service recipients, along with providing case management, psychiatric appointments, and life-skill training.
In 2004 Homestreet merged with Banyan Tree, a local licensed treatment home provider, forming Homestreet-Banyan Tree, Inc. This merger was a response to the economic stressors of the time, and sought to create a wider array of service options, while creating efficiencies in administration and overhead. In June, 2008, the Board of Directors changed the agency name to Sequoia Mental Health Services, Inc., to reflect a stronger regional image.
Today, SMHS serves more than 1100 persons with psychiatric disabilities. Clients range in age from 7 to 80 or older, and reflect the varied ethnicity of our community. Clients have the option to use Sequoia’s medication management services including psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners.
- Recovery Oriented/ Strengths-Based: We believe clients can recover from mental illness through maximizing their personal strengths. We focus on identifying and developing strengths and resources with clients.
- Individualized, Client Centered Care: Our services are developed for each client’s individualized needs, based on clinical assessments, and support the client taking responsibility for their treatment. Treatment plans are individualized contracts for services reflecting the needs and goals of the client.
- Collaborative/Support Inclusive: Services are provided in collaboration with other community providers. We coordinate the client’s care and elicit the support of family, friends, physicians, substance abuse treatment providers, criminal justice or other providers as indicated.
- Culturally Competent: Our diverse staff reflects the diversity of our community. We respect and respond to the individualized needs and varied cultural values of our clients. Many of our staff are multilingual and multicultural and we are able to offer culturally relevant services.
- Least restrictive/Community Integrated: We link clients with community resources to support their independence and autonomy. Our services foster independence while offering additional services and a continuum of services based on each individual’s clinical needs.
- Evidence Based Practices: Our staff use therapeutic interventions that are identified by research as the most effective for the client. Effectiveness of services is continuously evaluated through utilization management and quality assurance activities.